RTOHQ’s Top 10
Lucky for you, the headlines on APRO’s website did not echo those found on other sites over the past year. Unlike some other cyber sources, we came up short on venom, snark and fake news while reporting on the world of rent-to-own. Here are the articles that were most viewed by visitors to APRO’s newly redesigned website in 2016. It’s always interesting to discover what makes you click. If you’re unfamiliar with these RTO happenings, here is your chance to get up to speed.
10. TRIB Group’s Meeting of the Minds Sells Over $10.5 Million, Breaks Attendance Record
The buying group’s annual summer show in Las Vegas boasted 101 member companies in attendance and a hotter-than-hot Hot Show.
9. Meet RTO Employee Tennyson Cox
Cox, a 15-year veteran in the RTO industry, is director of operational support for SEI/Aaron’s, which operates 107 stores on the East Coast and in the Midwest.
8. Aaron’s Breaks Guinness World Record Title for Largest Human Mattress Dominoes
More than 1,000 mattresses came tumbling down in Washington, D.C., with the help of 2,000 Aaron’s associates. The toppled bedding was donated to charities in the nation’s capital.
7. Aaron’s Wraps 2016 Holiday Season with December’s Big Blue Bow Event
The company’s month-long frenzy of shopping deals and big-prize giveaways included a brand-new 2017 Kia Forte EX—a blue one, of course.
6. John Blair Inducted Into the Georgia Military Veterans Hall of Fame
Blair, a longtime RTO vendor for PTS Direct Benefits & Tax Service, was one of only 17—out of 106 nominees—to be selected for the honor this year.
5. In Memoriam: Chuck Sims
One of APRO’s pioneers and a rent-to-own legend passed away on August 16. APRO’s general counsel, Ed Winn III, shares his thoughts on a great man.
4. RNR Tire Express & Custom Wheels Inks 58-Unit Franchise Deal
“It was a no-brainer for us to decide to open as many [RNR] stores as we could in the Southeast,” says Shannon Strunk, who, along with his wife, Cynthia Baber-Strunk, signed on the dotted line.
3. Aaron’s and The Wendy Williams Show Announce the Big Blue Bow Home Makeover for One Lucky Winner with a Full House of Furniture
Williams’ empowering messages parallel that of Aaron’s sentiment to help customers “own the life you want.”
2. Congratulations to the 2016 Scholarship Recipients
APRO and TRIB Group, along with the Tennessee and Florida state rental dealer associations, awarded more than $100,000 to over 50 students.
1. Buddy’s Home Furnishings Acquires HomeSmart
The Florida-based franchise’s deal includes 67 HomeSmart locations across the Southeast. Currently, Buddy’s has 279 stores in 20 states and Guam.